A man might say women aren’t meant for combat, while a woman might say men do nothing but watch sports. Such expressions represent Gender Stereotypes, which are over-generalizations about the characteristics of an entire group based on gender.
As soon as we know it’s a girl, we immediately begin decorating a pink nursery filled with soft décor and butterflies and flowers. We assume that our daughter will be very “girly” and fill her closet with frilly dresses and her toy box with tea sets and dolls. What this is essentially doing, even though many parents don’t realize it, is setting our child up to be the “perfect lady” and teaching her how to be the Stereotypical Woman. We are teaching her that girls are supposed to wear dresses, serve food, clean the house and take care of babies; the biggest and most common stereotype put on women.
Have you ever watched a little girl playing house? Even as young as five or six, she is well aware that she is supposed to stay home with the baby while the husband goes to work, and she has dinner ready when he gets home. Here is another stereotype; women stay at home while men go to work.
We need to talk about “Women Stereotypes” as promised. I am sure; following points may not come as a shock to you (Sadly). As they have been accepted and cheered worldwide a long time ago. So as follows:
- Women are meant to be the damsel in distress; never the hero.
If you have seen your mother bringing you up single handedly combating Social Stigmas, Managing home and Career brilliantly, ever observed Women leading Nations and Women supporting their families and partners in tough times then you mustn’t have the nerve to say the first bold line. They are greater than anybody, me or you. And if you still disagree, you are an idiot.
- All women don’t like to use curse words. If you have been through even one of my posts, you already know how inapt said stereotype is. And, I am not ashamed of it. Some people do while some don’t. Only Men don’t have high stakes in Cuss department. We own it together buddy.
- Women are supposed to cook and do housework. They are Self-reliant and Liberated. They can work it when life throws lemons at them and can feed themselves under any condition unlike Men. Who wins?
- Women don’t play sports. Read more. You should definitely go through sports rankings and figure out how many brilliant women players we have globally. Sport is not only the ambit of males any more.
- Women are never in charge. Sure? How much population does have women as their boss? How many husbands would dare to say that? 🙂
- Women don’t need to go to college. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.” Need I say any more?
- Women are supposed to look pretty and be looked at. The only reason women dress nicely and wear makeup is to impress their love interests!!! They look pretty so they can admire their reflections when they pass by mirrors. No woman puts on make up to impress merely “one person”. Make up is some expensive shit. Don’t give yourself too much importance.
- Every woman loves children and wants to raise her own someday. While it’s not anyone’s job to tell a woman whether she should or shouldn’t have children. There’s no one path to fulfillment. Women without children are perfectly capable of being happy. I also believe we are too versatile as humans to only be fulfilled through having a child. Women can choose however they like. In fact, a little reading on the role that overpopulation plays in issues like global climate change and the Earth’s depleting resources might convince the most baby-crazed among us to not pass on their genes. Do you know There are an estimated 153 million orphans on Earth? Why add another mouth to an overpopulated planet for an ego-driven biological imperative I don’t feel?
Last time I checked, this world is messed up. There is a school shooting almost every week worldwide. Also, there’s this gnarly thing called “rape culture” and it permeates every aspect of our society. Many of the children of today will likely be its victims or perpetrators in the not-so-distant future.
Why women are asked to defend their choice? And why men– who have made the same choice are never publicly shamed as women? I read somewhere “Motherhood is a vocation like any other. It should be freely chosen, not imposed upon woman.”